Two-step authentication basically adds a nice, padded security layer to your Instagram account by requiring you to enter an additional code each time you log in.
How will authentication protect me in two steps?
If someone has your password, they can easily log in to your account, but with two-step authentication, your password is like the key to a wooden door, and the additional code is like a giant metal safe just behind; It is difficult to randomly guess the combination when there are infinite possibilities.
How to obtain my code?
Through a text message. All right, great! So…
How do I set it?
- Go to your profile and touch the Settings icon. It looks like a gear on iPhone and three vertical points on Android phones.
- Scroll down and touch Authentication in two steps.
- Touch Request security code to activate it.
- If your account does not have a confirmed phone number, you will be asked to enter a phone number. After entering the phone number, touch Next.
- A code will be sent to you. Enter that code and touch Next.
What happens with backup access?
Backup codes are useful if you lose access to your phone number and can not receive a security code by text message.
When you activate two-step authentication, you can access a list of backup codes. You will have 5 available that you can enter only if receiving a text message is impossible. You can also reset these codes.
It is recommended to take a screenshot of these codes so you can have easy access to them, or to write them down and keep them in a safe place in case something goes wrong.
Are you going to use authentication in two steps?
Are you someone who is interested in that little extra layer of security? Or will you stick with your usual Instagram login routine? Let us know your opinions about the latest Instagram update in the comments below!